Oxon Builder’s Ltd have been building extensions in Oxford since 2009.
Oxon Builders have built many extensions in Oxford city and the surrounding areas. Oxford is one of the most expensive places in the UK to buy a home as demand far exceeds supply, so if you need more space an extension is an ideal way to increase the size of your home. They can be anything from a single room build to a double floor extension and usually are more affordable than a move. If you don’t have the space to extend into or you might consider a conversion of your loft or garage and turn unused space into that much need extra bedroom.
Even with a small extension there are a few things to consider during the planning and through the build that Oxon Builders Ltd will help you understand, from finding a good architect to dealing with the building inspectors, building regulations and completion certificates on your behalf. We have included some information below to point you in the right direction and get you started.
Planning Permission for extensions in Oxfordshire
You may need planning permission for your extension and you need to approach your local district council, not the county council for advice and to apply.
- Oxford City Council (https://www.oxford.gov.uk/info/20066/planning_applications/723/contacting_us_for_planning_advice
- Cherwell District Council (http://www.cherwell.gov.uk/)
- South Oxfordshire District Council (http://www.southoxon.gov.uk/services-and-advice/planning-and-building/find-application)
- Vale of the White Horse District Council (http://www.whitehorsedc.gov.uk/services-and-advice/planning-and-building/find-application)
- West Oxfordshire District Council (https://www.westoxon.gov.uk/residents/planning-building/planning-applications/planning-decisions/)
Most Oxfordshire district councils offer a planning advisory service so you can ask questions before you officially apply for planning permission as not all extensions will need planning for example you can build various single storey extensions without planning permission, providing the extension accords with the following:
- The extension does not sit forward of the principal elevation.
- Materials used are similar to existing building
- Where it is within 2m of any boundary, the eaves cannot be higher than 3m, and no more than 4m in height otherwise.
- Rear extensions — no more than 4m in depth (detached house) or 3m in depth (semi-detached or terrace).
- Side extensions — the width of the extension must not be greater than half the width of the original dwelling. Side extensions are not permitted on Article 1(5) Land (e.g. AONB, Conservation Areas).
Visit planningportal.gov.uk for a full list of caveats and then get in touch with you district council for advice and to apply.
Helping you through the process
Once you have planning permission (if you need it) there are other legal issues to consider as your project progresses that Oxon Builders Ltd will help you with.
Party Wall Notices
If you are planning an extension that will affect a wall that you and your neighbour share you have to serve notice to your neighbours when you are planning the build.
Building regulations and inspectors
During the build and particularly at certain key stages such as fitting steels, a building inspector will need to come to inspect the build (regardless of whether planning permission is needed). This ensures building regulations are being met and the quality of the build is up to the government’s standards. We will liaise with the building inspector on your behalf and make sure he is notified to visit at key stages so there is no hold up.
Once your extension is completed and the building inspectors have been to ensure every regulation has been met and the build is to a high standard you will be issued with a Completion Certificate from your local council.
Oxon Builders Ltd know that you not only need excellent quality at the agreed price but that the project should run smoothly and consistently. This is why we offer all the trades you extension will need as well as a dedicated project manager to ensure the legal side of you project runs just as smoothly.
Contact Oxon Builders ltd
If you prefer, please use our contact form by clicking the button below
Why choose us
- 14+ PROFESSIONAL BUILDERS
- NO JOB TOO SMALL OR LARGE
- FREE NO OBLIGATION QUOTATIONS
- REFERALS AND REFERENCES
- DOMESTIC AND COMMERCIAL CLIENTS
- RANGE OF SERVICES